Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 1: A choice was made

Well, the neurologist decided that the right medication for Drew would be leveriracetam (Keppra). He will be on the lowest dose to start out with and if he does ok, then he'll stay on that dose. If not, then they'll increase it. The good thing about this drug is that the side effects are minimal (tiredness, sleepiness-which will go away, irritability, and sometimes insomnia) and you can't get toxic off of it. The aggression and irritability are a couple of my biggest concerns, but the doctor said that if he shows signs of this, call them back and they can adjust things. My other big concern is that being on drug therapy requires a two year commitment. Drew has to be on the medication every day for two years. If in that time he has no seizures and a normal EEG, he can come off of the meds. I'm hoping this works, and that I don't forget to give him his medicine. That would be bad. So, today was day one of the drug and so far so good. Even though it was day one, and it's not really in his system yet, I have felt much better. Drew did good today, but it was only day 1! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this drug works. Love you all so much!

5 comments:

Elise said...

I hope this drug and the dosage will be the right one for Drew. I'm glad the testing went well and you can get started on helping him. I'll be praying for the best for Drew.

{Erica} said...

Here's to hoping he does well on Keprra. My sister is on that (and about 5 other seizure meds) and it's one of the better ones out there.

You can doug (and drew) can do this. Soon giving him the meds will become second nature. I remember with Ella I kept thinking it was "time for her meds" after doing it for years with my sister...lol.

anyway, love you guys and know that everything will work out. HEre's to having the 2 years fly by!

allison said...

okay so I am a little behind on blogs. Wow! you guys have been busy. I am so sorry to hear that all this happened,how scarry at first. I am glad to hear that the tests went well and that it can be controlled. Keep us updated. I'll keep you guys in our prayers.

Jana Hopper said...

I know it's hard to start an every day drug regimen, but set an alarm in your phone twice a day every day so that if you somehow forget you have little reminders. It will become like brushing his teeth or eating...second nature.

Drake and Shakari said...

Courtney Drake and I love you! Everything will be ok! If you need anything call me! I am not in school so don't be afraid to call! You are in our thoughts and prayers love ya girl! Miss you tons I hope school is going good!